Sunday, July 6, 2008

Kyle Busch does it again at Daytona

Kyle Busch pulled another win out last night in last nights Coke Zero 400. Busch held off a spirited charge by Carl Edwards in a green-white-checkered situation to take his sixth win of the year.

"We didn't have the best car tonight," Busch said. "But these guys never gave up. Luckily, we were leading when the caution came out."

The night was bit of wreck fest with the yellow flag coming out 11 times during trace which included two large crashes at the end of the night, including one that sent the race into overtime when Jimmie Johnson spun and collected six others. Kyle Busch was given the narrow lead on Jeff Gordon for the final restart. The field was bunched up when the green flag came out for the final time and Carl Edwards turned Jeff Gordon spinning him out which made Gordon's car stall and relegated him to a 30th place finish. Meanwhile with Edwards and Busch duking it out for the lead, the rest of the field behind them decided it would be cool to play bumper cars that worked pretty well until Michael Waltrip and others got together on the final lap in turn 1 bringing out the caution and ending the race.

"I was driving as hard as I could," Edwards said. "Man, I hate to lose that thing like that. I was doing everything I could."

Meanwhile Jeff Gordon wasn't really surprised on how the race ended.

"We had such an awesome night going," Gordon said. "I'm so excited about the way we ran, obviously disappointed with the way it finished. … They were all laying back, we were all playing kind of cat and mouse on that last restart, you know on a green-white-checkered. … We were going for the win, trying to get the momentum and the 99 [of Edwards] got a run and I went low to block him and he kept going low and I guess I must have come across the front bumper."

"I knew it was just a matter of time before we got wrecked the way they were bump-drafting and getting pretty crazy out there," Gordon said. "I'm excited about the way we ran. We had a great opportunity to win the race. I have to look at the videos. It might have been my fault, I don't know."

After Busch and Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Kurt Busch and David Ragan rounded out the top five.
And Kyle Busch extends his points lead to 182 over Dale Earnhardt Jr. The next Sprint Cup race will be next Saturday night at Chicagoland Speedway.

Late-race crash didn't surprise Gordon [Scenedaily.com]

Busch wins again- this time at Daytona International Speedway [Scenedaily.com]

No comments: