Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Humpy Wheeler to retire after Coca-Cola 600

Humpy Wheeler long time president of Lowe's Motor Speedway is retiring after Sunday's Coca-Cola 600. Wheeler who has been president of Lowe's Motor Speedway since 1980 is stepping down, but Humpy said he isn’t totally exiting the racing world just yet.

"While it is with sadness that I announce my retirement from Speedway Motorsports and Lowe's Motor Speedway, it is time for me to move on to other things," Wheeler said. "I have devoted my entire life to racing and I don't intend on leaving it, just serving it in different ways. I have made arrangements with a well-known author to co-write a unique book interweaving my various experiences in the sport with the wonderful human drama and rich characters that abound in it. I will resume the 'Humpy Show' on SPEED Channel and look forward to being chairman of the Charlotte Regional Partnership in 2009. I also look forward to other endeavors, including lecturing and working with the motorsports management program at Belmont Abbey College."

No word yet on who will succeed Wheeler after this weekend.

H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler is Retiring from Speedway Motorsports and Lowe's Motor Speedway (LowesMotorSpeedway.com)

No comments: