Monday, June 9, 2008

Kubica flies to victory in Canada

One year ago, Robert Kubica was involved in a terrifying crash that had him sitting out the next race. Now the young driver from Poland is on top of the podium for the first time in his young career taking victory in the Canadian Grand Prix becoming the first Polish driver to win a Formula 1 race and the getting the first victory for the BMW Sauber team.

"It is fantastic to win for BMW Sauber," said Kubica. "We grew up together and thanks to team for providing a good car we managed to do first and second. Maybe our pace is still not best as I couldn't match Lewis's [Hamilton] pace."

It seemed that was case as Lewis Hamilton quickly pulled away from Kubica at the start until Adrian Sutil parked his Force India car on the side of the track which called for the safety car on track. Then came pit stops, Ferrari’s Kimi Raikkionen and Kubica quickly pulled out of their stalls and beat Hamilton, but had to stop at the end of the pit road, Hamilton then pulled out, but had a brain fade and ran into the back of Raikkionen's car, Nico Rosberg quickly followed and ran into the back of Hamilton. The Finn was none to happy about the incident.

"There's not much I can say. My race was ruined by Hamilton's mistake," said Raikkonen. "Obviously, anyone can make mistakes, as I did two weeks ago in Monaco, but it's one thing to make a mistake at two hundred per hour but another to hit a car stopped at a red light. I am not angry because that doesn't achieve anything and does not change my result."

"I am unhappy, because I had a great chance of winning. Once the graining had gone from the tyres, the car was going very well. I have failed to score in these last two races and now it's time to start winning again. There is still a long way to go in the championship and it is still very close and we have everything we need to regain the ground we have lost."

The race after that would then become a showdown between BMW Sauber Kubica and Nick Heidfeld as whose pit stratgey would win the race, in the end Kubica strategy would pay off as he would take the win over Heidfeld and David Coulthard. Timo Glock, Felipe Massa, Jarno Trulli, Rubens Barrichello and Sebastian Vettel would round out the top 8.

"It's fantastic for me, the team, my country and my fans." Kubica said. "Last year I struggled a lot but I fixed some issues that were not working properly. I am doing pretty well this season."
"Winning in Canada where I had big shunt last season and the goal to win a grand prix this season... We have done it and I'm leading the championship, so I hope the team will give me 100 percent support to defend it until last race."

Kubica now takes the world championship lead by four points over Lewis Hamilton and Ferrari still holds a three point lead over BMW in the constructor points.

Kubica celebrates 'fantastic' maiden win (Autosport.com)

Raikkonen 'unhappy' about Hamilton's error (Autosport.com)

No comments: