Sunday, June 22, 2008

Scott Kalitta (1962-2008)

I don't know what it is about death, but it has a sneaky way of coming up and surprising me. As I sat there and watched the entertaining Grand-Am race last night I heard the terrible news that Scott Kalitta had died during NHRA qualifications up in Englishtown, NJ. I'm not really a big drag racing fan, so I can't really say I knew Scott that well. But there is one thing I do know, he died doing what he loved and that was racing. Racing was was in Scott's blood, it was in his family, his father was a drag racer, his cousin still is a drag racer and he certainly had a loving wife and two children that supported him all the way.

Drag racing is a risky sport, as is all forms of motor sport, Scott knew the risks and yet he came back every week to race. Scott even retired twice, but came back because he couldn't get rid of that itch, the itch of competition and no one can fault him for that.

Godspeed Scott, you will surely be missed.

No comments: